Ashley began his career in 1997 as a Candidate Attorney at SyfretGodlonton Fuller Moore Inc (now Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr). He was appointed as an Associate in 1998 became a Senior Associate in 2002 and a Director in 2003. In 2010 Ashley commenced practicing for his own account as Managing Director of Adriaans Attorneys.
- Acted for major corporations throughout his career locally, nationally and in Africa. His major commercial clients include but are not limited to Shell Downstream (Pty) Ltd, PetroSA, Engen Petroleum, GEA Africa (Pty) Limited, City of Cape Town
- Banking litigation for Land and Agricultural Bank of South Africa and Standard Bank
- Acted on behalf of liquidators in insolvency interrogations and enquiries and represented creditors at insolvency interrogations and enquiries.
- Acted in numerous commercial litigation matters including but not limited to contractual disputes, partnership disputes, landlord/tenant disputes as well as insolvency related matters and interrogations.
- Acted on behalf of the National Development Agency, South African Social Security Agency and Road Traffic Management Corporation
- Acted for the curators of the Fidentia group of companies in the recovery of lost investor funds and assets.
- Acted for Land Bank in the Constitutional Court in the matter between Twee JongeGezellen (Pty) Ltd & Another vs Land and Agricultural Development Bank of South Africa t/a Land Bank and Another CCT 68/10  ZACC 2
- Acted for the City of Cape Town since 1998 in a number of matters from review applications, mass evictions and urgent interdicts to legal recoveries
- Assisted a number of national and international companies with corporate governance and compliance in relation to their South African operations
- Extensive expertise in property related law with a specific focus in property related litigation. He has authored and co-authored a number of articles on the implementation and consequences of the Prevention of Illegal Evictions from and Unlawful Occupation of Land Act 19 of 1998
- Acted for the City of Cape Town in highly publicized mass evictions involving the remaining unlawful occupiers of Symphony Way during 2009/2010 and their relocation to “Blikkiesdorp” as well as an eviction involving the “Deepfreeze” community in Macassar which involves approximately 600 unlawful occupiers and the “Egoli” community in Philipi which involves approximately 500 families.
- relocation to “Blikkiesdorp”. He is also currently involved in matters for the City involving the “Deepfreeze” community in Macassar which involves approximately 600 unlawful occupiers and the “Egoli” community in Philipi which involves approximately 500 families.
- 1990 - University of the Western Cape, Bachelor of Arts (BA)Law
- 1993 - University of the Western Cape, Bachelor of Laws (LLB)
- 1995 - University of Cape Town, Post-Grad Diploma in Tax Law (PG Dip Tax)
- 2013 - University of Cape Town, Certificate in South African Oil and Gas Law and Policy
- Cape Law Society